Welcome to the captivating world of roulette, where elegance meets excitement in every spin of the wheel. “Mastering Beautiful Roulette Game: The Ultimate Guide” is your definitive companion to unraveling the secrets, strategies, and artistry behind this timeless casino classic.
Whether you’re a novice seeking to understand the intricacies of the game or a seasoned player aiming to refine your approach, this comprehensive guide is designed to immerse you in the enchanting realm of roulette. From the velvet-clad tables to the suspenseful clatter of the ball, join us on a journey that transcends mere gameplay and delves into the finesse of mastering one of the most beautiful and iconic games of chance.
All About Roulette
In casinos all over the world (and all over the internet) roulette is one of the most popular games. Every single land casino has a roulette table, and every online casino has roulette under the table games category, or live dealer games. The gameplay looks simple – you choose a number and hope that the little ball lands on it after the wheel stops spinning. That’s not wrong, however, a lot more goes into the game of roulette.
Roulette has its origins in France, so the original roulette table consists of French terms. Some casinos still have these traditional tables, while others incorporate English terms. Read on as we’re about to break down some of the most popular roulette strategies, betting systems, and provide you with some tips and tricks.
How to Play Roulette?
As you might know already, a roulette wheel is basically a spinning disc revolving around a bowl. It has divisions around the edge. When the ball is spun, it will rotate along the wheel until it eventually lands in one of the divisions.
The divisions are red and black and numbered from 1 to 36; there isn’t a specific order in which they are placed. However, there are two more possible divisions: 0 and 00. Namely, a green division with one zero is typical for most roulette games, and the additional division with a double zero could be found on the American Roulette. This little detail is what makes American Roulette a worse financial option for the players than the European one.
The first step roulette players need to do before rolling the ball, is placing the bets. Each player bets on one number they think will come up – this is done by laying chips on the table, on the exact place that indicates the division on a wheel.
Strategies and Betting Systems
As with any other game of chance, people have been attempting to come up with roulette strategies and betting systems that could help them increase their odds and beat the game. It’s no different with roulette, resulting in a myriad of strategies used currently. However, we won’t mention all of them, but rather the classic ones that all other strategies originated from. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular ones.
This is the most popular system that players all over the world commonly use. The concept behind the Martingale system is simple – the player increases their bet after every loss. Meaning that after a win, the player will get their money back. That’s basically it – you can see how logical and simple this sounds.
However, experienced gamblers aren’t the biggest fans of this strategy; in fact, they don’t use it at all. Why is that, you might ask? Well, this strategy is quite risky and only offers to increase your odds of winning in the short term. So, basically, betting big to win small. That being said, the best way to use the Martingale system is to bet on even-money outside bets (we’ll talk more about types of bets later). The bet progression will then look like this:
This concept is seemingly flawless. However, keep in mind that the house always wins. Remember the green division we talked about earlier, the one with a zero? Well, that’s the perfect representation of the house edge. This makes your best odds less than 50%, so this strategy or any other for that matter can’t change that.
To sum things up, the Martingale strategy is a good one, but only in the short term. It is way too risky if you want to secure your winnings in the long shot. So, even if it seems to work in the beginning, the math says that you will lose more than what you are going to win.
Henry Labouchere was not a humble man, which became apparent after he named this betting strategy after him. He didn’t actually invent it, but rather appropriated an already existing mathematical system. It was first created by Marquis de Condorcet, a French mathematician in the 18th century.
What this system basically is, is a cancellation system. However, the catch is that it doesn’t do much for the player, winnings-wise. It gives you a systematic betting strategy, which will not let you throw random bets all over the place. So perhaps, this isn’t really a strategy that will help you win, but rather keep your bets and bankroll in check. Naturally, there are a lot of variations of the Labouchere strategy. Let’s see it in an example.
You start with a row of numbers, for instance, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, each representing a unit of betting, and you are free to decide what it represents. What you need to do is add the first and the last number, and after losing a bet — add the given number to the row. You should get a row that looks like this: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
There’s more to it, so this is just a skeleton of what this system is made of. To sum it up:
- The Labouchere strategy is basically a cancelation system.
- In the row of numbers, you bet the sum of the first and the last number in the row. Should you lose, you add a number to the first number. And if you win, you keep the betting the same as the previous one.
- What’s similar to the Martingale is the long string of losses that will take you to the house maximum.
This is a relatively simple and low-risk strategy that aims to help players manage their bets and potentially turn a profit over time. The strategy is named after the French mathematician Jean le Rond d’Alembert, who developed it in the 18th century.
Here’s how the D’Alembert System works:
- Initial Bet: Start by choosing your initial bet amount. This is typically a small and manageable amount.
- Betting Progression: Unlike the Martingale System, where you double your bet after a loss, in the D’Alembert System, you increase your bet by a smaller unit after a loss. This unit is often referred to as the “d’Alembert unit.” It’s usually advisable to keep this unit relatively small to control the potential losses.
- Decreasing Bet After a Win: Conversely, after a win, you decrease your bet by the d’Alembert unit. The idea here is that when you’re winning, you reduce your risk and protect your profits.
- Balance Adjustment: The key concept of the D’Alembert System is to maintain a balanced approach. The bets you place after losses are meant to help you recoup losses gradually, while the smaller bets after wins help protect your profits.
- Stopping Points: Some players choose to set predetermined stopping points, such as a specific number of rounds or a target profit amount. Once you reach your stopping point, you can either stop playing or reset your betting sequence.
Here’s an example of how the D’Alembert System might play out in a roulette game:
- Initial bet: $5
- First bet (loss): $10
- Second bet (loss): $15
- Third bet (win): $10
- Fourth bet (win): $5
In this example, after the initial loss, the player increases their bet by the d’Alembert unit ($5) for each subsequent loss. After a win, they decrease the bet by the same unit. The system aims to keep the player’s bets relatively controlled while potentially recovering losses over time.
James Bond Strategy
The James Bond Strategy is a roulette betting system that was popularized by the fictional character James Bond in Ian Fleming’s novels and later appeared in some of the James Bond movies. This strategy is designed to cover a wide range of numbers on the roulette table while emphasizing certain bets. It’s often seen as a fun and structured way to play roulette, though like all betting systems, it doesn’t alter the fundamental odds of the game.
Here’s how the James Bond Strategy works:
- Initial Bet Distribution:
- Place a larger bet on a specific group of numbers: Place a bet of $14 on the numbers 19-36. This covers the higher numbers on the roulette layout.
- Place smaller bets on other specific numbers:
- Bet $5 on the number 13-18.
- Bet $1 on the single zero (0).
- Coverage and Logic: The strategy covers a significant portion of the roulette wheel. By placing the larger bet on the higher numbers, Bond’s strategy leverages the odds of landing on numbers more likely to come up over time. Additionally, the smaller bets on the selected numbers offer a chance to hit a larger payout if they come up.
- Potential Outcomes:
- If a number between 19 and 36 comes up, you win $8 ($14 win minus the $6 you’ve bet on the other two bets).
- If a number between 13 and 18 comes up, you win $10 ($5 win minus the $5 you’ve bet on the other two bets).
- If the single zero (0) comes up, you win $16 ($35 win minus the $19 you’ve bet on the other two bets).
- If any number outside of these ranges comes up, you lose all three bets, totaling $20.
- Risk and Rewards: The James Bond Strategy provides a balanced approach between covering a significant portion of the wheel and aiming for higher payouts. The strategy’s structure can create an illusion of control and calculation, making it appealing to players. However, it’s important to note that the strategy doesn’t change the odds of the game. Each spin of the roulette wheel is an independent event, and the outcome is purely based on chance.
- Bankroll Management: Like all betting systems, the James Bond Strategy requires careful bankroll management. While the bets themselves are not extremely high, a series of losses can accumulate. Players should determine their budget for each session and adhere to it.
The 666 Strategy
The 666 Strategy is a roulette betting system based on the idea of covering numbers that share the digit “6” in hopes of capitalizing on a specific pattern. It’s worth noting that like many betting strategies, the 666 Strategy is not a foolproof way to win at roulette. Roulette outcomes are inherently random and determined by chance, so no strategy can alter the fundamental odds of the game. The 666 Strategy is more of a fun and structured approach to playing, rather than a surefire method to beat the casino.
Here’s how the 666 Strategy works:
- Number Selection:
- Place bets on all numbers that contain the digit “6” in their composition. These include 6, 16, 26, and 36.
- Bet Distribution:
- Distribute your bets evenly across the four selected numbers. You can adjust the bet amounts based on your bankroll and comfort level.
- Potential Outcomes:
- If any of the selected numbers (6, 16, 26, or 36) comes up, you win a payout that corresponds to the specific bet you placed on that number.
- If a number outside of the selected ones comes up, you lose your bets on those selected numbers.
- Risk and Rewards: The 666 Strategy is a relatively simple strategy that focuses on a specific pattern in the numbers. While it might provide some structure and entertainment to your gameplay, it’s essential to understand that the strategy doesn’t alter the odds of the game. Each spin of the roulette wheel is an independent event, and the outcome is purely based on chance.
- Bankroll Management: As with any betting strategy, responsible bankroll management is crucial. Set a budget for each session and stick to it. Since the 666 Strategy involves betting on a limited set of numbers, the losses and wins can be relatively rapid, so it’s important to control your bets and avoid chasing losses.
- Randomness of Roulette: Remember that roulette outcomes are random, and the game is designed to have a built-in house edge. While strategies like the 666 Strategy can be entertaining and might provide a structured approach to your bets, they don’t guarantee consistent profits over time.
In summary, the 666 Strategy is a playful approach to roulette that focuses on numbers containing the digit “6.” However, it’s important to approach this and other betting strategies with the understanding that roulette is a game of chance, and outcomes are unpredictable. Always gamble responsibly and within your means.
Of course, there are many more strategies out there, and each one is unique in its own way. However, don’t rely on any to give you a 100% chance of beating the game: that just won’t happen. But feel free to study them, look for useful and logical info that you can use in your own advantage, and believe in your luck.
How to Win at Roulette?
Of all the casino games, roulette might be the most difficult one to beat, if there is one at all. If we are talking about land-based casinos, in order to make sure that there is a fair game for everyone, the management of the casino must take all the measures. So, keeping the wheels in working order, pockets at the same depth, the wheel perfectly balanced, and more is a must. So don’t think you have a great chance of outsmarting them.
Some players think they can predict where the ball will land by visually tracking it. This is not an exact method, and remember that the management has this in mind while observing players’ behaviour. You can see how almost impossible it is to beat the roulette wheel, however, you can always try some of the strategies and betting systems and find the one that suits you the most.
When it comes to playing roulette at an online casino, it’s a whole different story. There isn’t a physical wheel that can be manipulated in any way, and you have a “small” detail called Random Number Generator. That being said, it is very rare, almost impossible, for the RNG of the roulette to fail and be off. But, if you take the live dealer roulette into consideration, it might fall in the category of physical wheels that have a slight chance of being beaten.
So, the only way you might have a slight chance of beating the roulette wheel is by playing it at a land-based casino. There might be a possibility of predicting where the ball will end up, or taking advantage of a malfunctioned wheel. At an online casino, especially a reputable one, your odds against roulette and RNG are basically non-existent. Read our reviews on the most popular online casinos and enjoy roulette at one of them!
Types of Bets
When it comes to betting in roulette, a player can place a bet on several groups of numbers or on a single number. As you might’ve guessed it, the more bets you place, the more chances for winning, and also lower payouts.
We can place the bets (see what we did there?) in three different categories: Inside bets, Outside bets, and Announced bets. The first two are the most basic ones, and you can expect them to be offered at every roulette table. The Announces bets are a more advanced category and only a certain number of roulette variants. Let’s take a more detailed look into the basic roulette bets.
The layout of the roulette table consists of numbers 0-36 and the part where you can bet on groups of numbers. The inside bet is when you make a bet on the numbers themselves. There are exactly seven types of these inside bets.
|Bet Name||Covered Numbers and Chip Placement|
|1||Straight||This is a bet that covers only one number. In order to make this bet, place the chip inside the square of the number.|
|2||Split||A bet on two numbers, which are adjacent on the table, made by placing the chip on the shared line of the two numbers’ squares.|
|3||Street||A bet on three consecutive numbers located on the same line. Make the bet by placing the chip on the outer corner of the row.|
|4||Six Line||A bet on two adjacent lines. In order to make this bet, you have to place the chip on the common outer corner of the two lines.|
|5||Corner||This is a four-number bet placed by putting the chip on the common corner of the four numbers. Also called ‘square’ bet.|
|6||Trio||A three-number bet that includes the zero or zeros. Place the chip on the line shared by the zero box and the two other numbers.|
|7||Basket||Bet on 0, 1, 2, and 3 with a chip on the corner shared by the zero box and the first line. In American Roulette, it includes the double zero.|
Unlike inside bets, outside bets are placed on the groups of numbers. So, outside the number field, to be precise. There are five types of these bets:
|🔺♣️ Red or Black||Bet on the colour of the winning number|
|🎲 Odd or Even||Bet on whether the winning number will be odd or even|
|🪙 1 to 18 or 19 to 36||Bet on whether the winning number will be low (lower than 19) or high|
|🃏 Dozens||Bet on one of the three dozen that are found on the layout of the table|
|🧮 Columns||Bet from which of the three columns will the winning number be|
As we mentioned earlier, announced bets are a bit more complex and only available at certain roulette games. We won’t get much deeper into them, but let’s see what some of the basics are. You can find these bets in French Roulette and most European Roulette variants at online casinos.
The name of each type of bet is, of course, in French. So, you can come across Voisins du Zéro, Le Tiers Du Cylindre, and Orphelins.
Where to Play Online Roulette?
As with literally every casino game nowadays, roulette can also be found at online casinos. Every single online casino out there, whether an oldie or a newcomer, will offer roulette under the table games category. Besides that, the addition to the categories is a live casino games category. You will come across blackjack, baccarat, all of the most popular table games, and, of course, roulette.
Some people prefer the looks and the sounds of the rotating wheel, the clacker of the ball, while it goes over the divisions, anticipating the landing of the ball at the desired place. Up until recently, you could only have this pleasure at land casinos. However, the introduction of the live dealer games category at online casinos made it much easier to enjoy roulette from the comfort of your own home and made online casinos more appealing to old-school gamblers.
Become a Pro at the Roulette Game
Every casino game has its perks, bad sides, good sides, tips and tricks, strategies, and more. There is a myriad of theories behind each game, players speculating if and how you can beat the house edge, etc. It’s no different when it comes to the game of roulette. It’s an interesting game that is pretty simple; exactly what appeals to the players so much. There isn’t any hard work, you just watch the ball and the wheel spinning together harmoniously, almost like watching a dance; and wait for the ball to land right where you wanted it to.
Of course, over the years of playing, gamblers, mathematicians, even common people came up with different strategies and betting systems with the purpose of beating the game. That’s all reasonable, but the only place where you might have a slight chance of beating the system is at a land casino. Online casino, on the other hand, doesn’t leave you much room for manipulation – thanks to Random Number Generator.
All in all, this is a game where no complex strategies are really needed, nor will they help you in the long run. Simply sit back, choose your numbers, colors, chips, place even money bets, or odd bets — and wait for luck to be on your side.